Thursday, November 13, 2008

Presepe


Italy is well know for elaborate presepes around Natale (Christmas). They really are amazing. An entire room will be transformed into a miniature Italian village complete with river. The manger scene is then incorporated into the village. Every year, the stores are full of different sized people depending on the scale you want to use to create your own presepe. They have straw, rocks, water fountains, windmills, props, and even premade stables. It is a big deal and one of my favorite things about Italy.

So it's mid-November, and just like in the states, all of the Christmas stuff is already out in the stores. In the Italians' defense, at least they aren't overlooking Thanksgiving like American stores. Anyway, I was looking at the presepe stuff, seeing if there is anything I can add to the one we built last year and I see this little guy who is poppin' a squat and droppin' his drawers. Hmmmm, that's interesting. But I guess if you recreate a village, you need to have an outhouse right??!! I mean, that's a part of village life. But then something caught my eye and I leaned in closer. Could it be? Nooooooo, couldn't be. But yes it is! The little dude is actually taking a dump, dropping a load, pinching a loaf, dropping the kids off at the pool, taking the Browns to the Super Bowl...you get the idea. He actually has a piece of poop coming out of his butt. Hopefuly no one puts him too close to the manger scene. Seems wrong somehow.

No comments: